Refugee teachers 'lost in system'

[log in to unmask]" alt="Teacher pointing " border=0>

More than 1,500 refugee teachers are said to live in England

Hundreds of teachers living in England as refugees are not employed because the system fails them, a report says.

Their skills are being wasted and an opportunity for a diverse workforce is being lost, a taskforce of teachers and educational organisations suggests.

Its co-chairman, Stephen Jones, said the system for helping refugee teachers find work was "about as unfriendly as it is possible to be".

He wants clearer guidance and a national database of refugee teachers.

The report said more than 1,500 refugee teachers live in England and make up one of the largest groups within the 30% of refugees from higher educational or professional backgrounds.

Mr Jones said: "There is a whole raft of teaching and support roles in education where they could contribute."

[log in to unmask]" border=0>

[log in to unmask]" border=0>Refugee teachers arrive here with qualifications, experience and a strong desire to integrate and contribute to our society [log in to unmask]" align=right border=0 v:shapes="_x0000_s1026">

Stephen Jones, taskforce chairman

But too little has been done for refugee teachers despite action plans and databases being set up for other refugee professionals such as doctors and nurses, he said.

"We urgently need to tackle the problem or we shall lose their skills altogether. That would be a terrible waste," he said.

The taskforce says new teachers coming to the country should be quickly identified and assessed, and be given fast-track provision for improving their English.

Bridging gaps

It also called for regional partnerships between schools, colleges, local councils and the voluntary sector.

James Lee, a policy adviser for the Refugee Council, said they were working with training providers to provide refugee teachers with guidance, work experience, English language teaching and a way of tying up their home qualifications with those in the UK.

Mr Jones said: "Refugee teachers arrive here with qualifications, experience and a strong desire to integrate and contribute to our society.

"The wider experience they bring can add positive value to the education workforce and provide a bridge between refugee children, their parents and communities and the education sector," he added.

The taskforce was set up by the Employability Forum in 2004 and has members from the government, the Refugee Council and teaching unions.

Warren Chazungu

Community Progression Worker

Department of Adult Continuing Education

University of Wales Swansea

Mobile: 077 47 136 300

Tel: 01792 295935

Fax:  01792 295751

Join the BME-HE e-Network where you can exchange information on research, projects and best practice with regard to the participation of ethnic minorities in Higher Education.  Register at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/BME-HE-NETWORK.html