The Ancient Near East list defines this area as follows:

     STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

     ANE is a mailing list on topics and issues of interest in Ancient
     Near Eastern Studies, from the Indus to the Nile, and from the
     beginnings of human habitation to the rise of Islam. It is intended
     to provide a medium for discussion among scholars and students
     actively engaged in research and study of this broad field.

With regard to mass migration, it is possible, given the research,
that the environment and food resources played a part, as after the Irish
potatoe famine.  Similarly, any disruption among empire builders like the
Ottoman or British or Roman Empires might cause conflict or
alternatively, integration with another culture - any or all of these
might be responsible for unrest and movement and each area would
presumably have to provide its own evidence of the root cause.

Some food for thought :)

Bea

P.S. Just seen David Connelly note on Misletoe:
     BAD BUCHAU CONFERENCE REPORT
     Review of Economic and Environmental Changes during the 4th and 3rd
     Millennia BC -Association for Environmental Archaeology (AEA), 25th
     Anniversary Symposium in Bad Buchau, Southern Germany, 2nd-5th
September
     2004 .
Climate input from the Assoc.for Environmental Archaeology might be quite
revealing
on this subject!