Dear sir, Tobias Baskin,
I am a Ph. D student at The University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan working on L-Trptophan dependent biosynthesis of auxins and their influence on the growth and yield of mungbeans. Plaese send me lieterature regarding this topic. I also seek your help towards a six months training at USA in the field of microbiology. If you can help me in this regard kindly send me acceptance letter in this regard.
Ashfaq anjum

Tobias Baskin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Arsheen,
&nbbsp;       Let me mention a couple of quick things, which you may have already heard from others or from your reading.

1.  The clorox treatment is used to "surface sterilize" the seed. Many seed have bacteria and fungi on their coats. When you put seed in a warm, moist place, the fungi, bacteria, and plant seed all start to grow, but sometimes the fungi and bacteria will win and kill or damage the plant. For experiments, its good to have all the plants be growing (and in similar condition) so using the Clorox is a way to prevent this problem.
        Actually, if you are still thinking about experiments to try, you could try germinating some of your seeds with and without a clorox treatment. Depending on where your seeds came from, you may or may not need to do this.

2.  You also asked about germinating faster. Many seed germination protocols call for imbibing the seeds in running water or standing water for some hours, to speed up germination. This can get the seeds really wet, which they like, or in some cases remove germination inhibitors. What is good about this is that it makes the experiments easier and more reproducible. If your seeds are geminating in a synchronized way, then it become easier to test the effects on germination of a hormone.
        Again, if you are interested, you can see what happens with and without an 'imbibition' step.

3.  You asked about the best time and temperature. This really depends on the plant. Generally, body temperature, 37C is about on the upper range of tolerance for plants, and 4C (refridgerator temp) is about the coolest. Between these limits the seeds should germinate. Probably more important for you than finding the 'best' temp, would be to make sure that as you do the experiments over the summer ? or whenever, that you are able to do them at the same temp every time. Timing likewise is very dependent on the species. But typically germination happens 1 to 3 days after getting the seeds wet.

4.  Finally, you asked about health risks. This is the hardest thing to answer because everything has SOME risk, the question is how much? As far as is known, animals do not have pathways to respond to abscisic acid or gibberellic acid, so that is good. Use ordinary precautions for handling chemicals.

        Good luck, Have fun,
                        Tobias Baskin

Arsheen Khan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am a high school student currently conducting a research project on
hormones and its effect on plant growth/ development.

What is the best period of time and temperature to investigate the
full effects of the plant hormones abscisic acid and gibberellic acid?
What is the purpose of disinfecting the seeds in Clorox for 1-2 minutes?
Why do seeds need to germinate faster? Lastly, are there any health risks
these hormones may pose to humans?

I would greatly appreciate your helping me and any suggestions that
can be applied to this research. Thank you very much in advance.

-Arsheen Khan

Do you Yahoo!?

     /  \   /          / \    /   \ \        Tobias I. Baskin
    /   /  /          /   \   \      \         Biology Department
   /_ /   __      /__ \   \       \__    611 N. Pleasant St.
  /      /          /       \   \       \        University of Massachusetts
 /      /          /         \   \       \          Amherst, MA, 01003
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/baskin/
Voice: 413 - 545 - 1533 Fax: 413 - 545 - 3243

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messengerís low PC-to-Phone call rates.