It is perhaps worth noting that engineering in on the rise.
In China and India, as well as the Middle Eastern (Muslim-oriented), the
dominant degree is engineering.
Oregon used to have lots of students from Iran etc.  They ALL studied
engineering.
Another noteworthy point is that in Oregon something like 80 percent of our
engineering graduate students are foreign born.
Finally (go figure??), I am told that 90 percent-plus of the theoretical
physicists in the US are jewish.
No judgment.  Just weird.  Donšt know the figure in engineering.