From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/forgeais/forgeais4_115.jpg

> Have a look at:
> http://soemer-digital.de/libori/bilder/pavonicaudafaer_03web.jpg

> This is from a recent year's procession in honor of St. Liborius at
Paderborn.  The object being carried in front of the Liborischrein is a
_flabellum_ ('fan'), a ceremonial object originally used to ward off
insects (and/or miasmas?) from a holy relic or person.

BINGO.

that's precisely the shape, and it's in a processional context, to boot.

i'm sure you've Nailed It, John.

middlevil representations of these artifacts are not common and, though i
believe i have seen the Real Deal before, i can't recall ever seing a
contemporary of one in use (outside of the Chartres badges).

> As you can see from that last view, Paderborn's _flabellum_ is made of
peacock feathers (they're very proud of it).

as they should be.

Peacocks are not particularly Thick on the Ground in Paderborn, i should
think.

> Just a thought.

and a pretty danged good one.

will get you an Honorary subscription to my Chartrain discussion list, if you
like.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]