From: "Ms Brenda M. Cook" <[log in to unmask]>

> I have always understood that "Dark Ages" referred to the period from the
withdrawal of the Roman Legions (410AD IIRC) to the Norman Conquest (1066) and
that the Middle Ages referred to 1066-1495.  (This is English history, of
course .......)

yes.

yes it is.

the OED suggests an unusually early use of the term "Dark Ages", in a
middlevil context:

DARK:

c. Specialized comb. or phrases: dark ages (often with capital initials), (a)
a term sometimes applied to the period of the Middle Ages to mark the
intellectual darkness characteristic of the time; often restricted to the
early period of the Middle Ages, between the time of the fall of Rome and the
appearance of vernacular written documents...

1687 BURNET Trav. III. 11 There is an infinite number of the Writers of the
*darker Ages.

1730 A. GORDON Maffei's Amphith. 398 A Theatre..called so in the dark Ages,
when such Names were given at random.

1748 SMOLLETT Rod. Rand. I. p. iv, In the dark ages of the world, when a man
had rendered himself famous for wisdom or valour, his family..represented his
character and person as sacred and supernatural.

1837 HALLAM Hist. Lit. I. §5 Gregory I..the chief authority in the dark ages.

1857 BUCKLE Civiliz. I. ix. 558 During these, which are rightly called the
Dark Ages, the clergy were supreme.

1860 C. M. YONGE Hopes & Fears I. x. 370 What was natural science with the
one, was natural history with the other. One went deep in systems and
classifications, and thrust Linnæus into the dark ages.

1871 GEO. ELIOT Middlem. I. ii. 20 We must have Thought: else we shall be
landed back in the dark ages.

F. M. STENTON Anglo-Saxon Eng. viii. 267 No other king of the Dark Ages ever
set himself, like Alfred, to explore whatever in the literature of Christian
antiquity might explain the problems of fate and free will.

1952 CHILDE & SIMPSON Anc. Monuments Scotland 6 The ‘Dark Ages’...
Approximately fifth-eleventh centuries A.D. 1953

what makes an age "Dark", of course, is the scarcity of written sources to
"enlighten" it.

in other words, it is *us* who are in the "Dark", not those who happen to live
in the ages so designated.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]