I don't see any metal armature, but I do see two weights attached to
 straps draped over the writer's desk.  The leather straps are
attached to the bottom of the desk and lie over the pages to keep them
flat.  I have a modified version that I use every day.  yrs, tom ault

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:24:56 -0500
  Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>culture
>
>From: Diana Wright <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> Is that a metal armature holding the top part of the desk, what kind
>>of
> metal, & did it swivel or anything?
>
>> > http://www.kzoo.edu/history/Wickstrom/vincent.jpg
>

> this form of writing desk is not uncommon in contemporary woodcuts
> --presumably it was the latest bit of Hi-Tech scriptorium furnature,
>right
> there on the Cutting Edge of Information Technology before it all
>got swept
> away by that Lazy Luddite, Guttenberg.
>
> remember that the Crank was a pretty recent invention (unless you
>count Bernie
> of Clairvaux, who was a Head of his time).
>
> i've always puzzled about them, but have never seen one in color
>before.
>
> certianly *looks* like it's a piece of 4 inch iron pipe, in three
>sections,
> with two welds a right angles.
>
> simple enough to make, these daze, but not possible in the M.A., to
>my
> knowledge (and yet, there it *is*).
>
> because of the stresses it would take, i can't imagine it being made
>out of
> wood, and it looks to be too large in diameter for being cast.
>
> presumably it's advantage over the traditional form would be that,
>yes, it
> could be swiveled, to share one's work with a curious collegue.
>
> i would not be surprised if one survives in some museum somewhere,
>presumably
> in Germany (seems like at least one of everything survives in some
>German
> museum).

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]
> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write
>to:
>For further information, visit our web site:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]