There are conventions for representing skins.  This with regular
spotting suggests a leopard to me, especially since it has the head and
jaw showing.

 I don't think anyone would try to represent a sheep with a broad head.
A leopard would suggest wealth or interesting associations. It would not
do much for warmth, though any skin would be better than none.  It
occurs to me that I have owned both sheepskins & a leopard skin in my
time, & a leopard skin has its head, but a sheep doesn't, at least in
the 20th C.  I realize this is earlier than that.

DW