I should not attempt these things when I'm badly jetlagged.  In the
translation of the inscription below, for "2 March" read "2 May".  The
translation from Petrarch further on should have read: "and of all
those whom the hope and love of another life guides by a safe path to
the blessed goal".

--JD

On Thursday, July 20, 2006, at 0:58 am, I wrote:

> > The text is macaronic: lines 1 and 4 are in Venetian, 2 and 3 in
> > Latin. A translation follows:
> > Hope and love in this pleasant
> > prison keeps us
> > S. M. delle Vergini

<SNIP>

> Another instance is this from Petrarch's _Contra medicum quendam_:
> "et omnium quos alterius vite spes et amor tuto tramite dirigit ad
> felicem metam" ("and of all those whom the hope and love of another
> life draws to a blessed goal").
> Text from:
> http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/petrarchmedicus.html

to: [log in to unmask]