Well, not only is ABA NOT banned in Canada, it is the leading "treatment"
used with autistic children. In the Auton case, the Supreme Court of Canada
decided that the provinicial government was not required to fund ABA as it
was a new, still emerging treatment not yet recognized or established. I do
NOT see this as a "win' for anyone, despite the fact that I am absolutely
opposed to any form of "aversive measures" of which ABA is only one subset.

The Supreme Court reasoning means that only established forms of medically
insured "treatments" are available to disabled persons. This way of thinking
is very dangerous. For psychiatric survivors, for example, the "established"
mode of "treatment" is massive drugging with anti-psychotics known to cause
central nervous system damage such as tardive dyskenisia. So, if the
provinces decided not to fund psychotherapy or massage at all, it may be
that we would have little or no legal recourse. Currently, some provincial
governments pay for both the above "treatments" in a restricted way.
So, while I am happy the government is not funding ABA, I am extremely
unhappy about the way in which they reasoned their decision.

There is at least one other ABA case in Ontario (Wynberg???) which argues
that ABA is a form of accomodation for children with autism in the public
school system. I am not sure where it is in the courts. Perhaps someone else
on this list will know at what stage it is now being argued. I hope the
above information is helpful. Lilith

>From: Colin Revell <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Court says autism therapy age limit is not a form of
>discrimination
>Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:30:01 +0000
>
>See link:- http://www.news-medical.net/?id=18770
>
>I thought Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA), or Intensive Behavioural
>Intervention (IBI) was banned now in Canada for all autistic people after
>Michelle Dawson won the Auton Case there?
>
>Can someone please enlighten me more here!!!
>
>Am I right, or not? Is ABA/IBI banned in Canada?
>
>Yours
>
>Colin R

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: