Hi Mogg & all

Apparently Akbar's syncretistic religion, Din-i-Ilahi, survived him,
according to a book written in 1670.
<http://persian.packhum.org/persian/pf?file=15501051&ct=16>

Interestingly the new religion also drew on Zoroastrianism:

... direct their hearts to trust in God and resignation to His will; but no
one lives long in the caravanserai of the world, and hence the afflicted do
well to accept consolation.” Religious matters had in the meantime rapidly
advanced. Akbar had founded a new religion, the Dín i Iláhí, or ‘the Divine
Faith,’ the chief feature of which, in accordance with Shaikh Mubárak's
document mentioned above, consisted in belief in one God and in Akbar as
His viceregent (khalífah) on earth. The Islamitic prayers were abolished at
court, and the worship of the ‘elect’ was based on that of the Pársís ...

The Ain-i-Akbari, Volume 1, chpt. 11

cheers
Yvonne

--On 11 July 2006 20:17 +0100 Mandrake of Oxford <[log in to unmask]>

--

Yvonne Aburrow
Web Developer, Computing Services, University of Bath