23 June is also the Feast day of a female  saint named Gwentroc/Ventroc in
the small parish of Treflez  (Brittany) ; but the "official" patron of the
parish church is  saint Ediltrude since the early XVIIth century,  and maybe
earlier. As  Brieuc's mother is also named Eldruda in the saint's vita  (written
around 1050), we can imagine that the development of  the cult of the Anglo-Saxon
princess in Brittany is a consequence  of such homonymy ; but Ediltrude is
also mentioned in the old  calendary of Landevennec Abbey (around 950) at the
date of 23 June :  Natale sanctae Hildetrudae virginis.

André-Yves  Bourgès

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]