As a native speaker, I have never heard anyone refer to a cathedral as
"hoofdkerk". The word is "kathedraal". "Main Church" is a better translation of
hoofdkerk. But perhaps it's Flemish usage? Do we have any native speakers from
the Southern Low Countries on the list?

Frans van Liere
Department of History, Calvin College
1845 Knollcrest Circle SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546-4402
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/history/faculty/vanlieref/
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/06/06 7:44 PM >>>

The 1986 version (reprinted in 1991 and 1999) of the van Dale _Groot
woordenboek Nederlands-Engels_ translates 'hoofdkerk' simply
as 'cathedral'.  But this is a dictionary of the contemporary Dutch
language, without a lot of historic depth or nuance to it.  'hoofdkerk'
is of course the Netherlandic equivalent of 'Hauptkirche' or 'ecclesia
maior' or 'chiesa madre', many of which elsewhere were/are not a
bishop's church.  I'm not sure whether all churches so described are
today collegiate, let alone what their organization may have been at
the time when they were first so designated.

Hope this helps,
John Dillon

On Tuesday, June 6, 2006, at 6:19 pm, Jim Bugslag wrote:

> Dear Listmembers,
> Would anyone know the English equivalent of the Flemish word
> "hoofdkerk".  I
> suspect it means "collegiate church", but am having trouble
> verifying that
> suspiction.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]