Hmmm, I'm wondering if this is because the OS is taking that long to swap
over the memory (the Python data structures are fairly complex and I guess
it's possible the memory usage is therefore structured in a fairly complex
way).  And I think there are still memory leaks, possibly/probably related
to the Tk graphics, so that would mean this problem would get worse with
use.

Wayne