Dear Friends of Wisdom,

                                    Whereas some FoW are happy to discuss issues concerning the pursuit of wisdom, others are unhappy at the number of emails they are receiving.  In order to solve this problem, this conflict of interests, I propose that we create two inter-linked lists.

                                   The primary list, the one we have at present (technically, the sub-list) is reserved for emails that make an initial contribution - emails that seek, in one way or other, to help Friends of Wisdom achieve its aims.  The secondary list, a new one, (technically the super-list) is devoted to discussion and debate.

                                   These two lists will be set up so that:-

1. Emails sent to the primary list will go only to that list.
2. Replies to the primary list will go to the secondary list only.
3. Emails sent to the secondary list, and replies to them, will go to the secondary list only.

                                   The list helpline has assured me that this can be done.

                                   My hope is that this will succeed in resolving our present conflict of interests.

                                   It will do so only if FoW exercise restraint when contemplating contributing to the primary list.  Such contributions should address the main concerns of FoW.  What these are, at present, may be gleaned from our website: www.knowledgetowisdom.org .  If you have not already done so, I hope you will take a few minutes to read, not just the home page, but the other pages as well: "Basic Argument": www.knowledgetowisdom.org/basic_arg.htm
"What Went Wrong?": www.knowledgetowisdom.org/What_Wrong.htm   and "What Needs to Change?": www.knowledgetowisdom.org/change.htm.  The last page strikes me as especially important as it contains a list of 16 changes which, it is suggested, need to be made to academic inquiry if it is to be well-designed and effective in helping people realize what is of value in life (by intellectual and educational means).  I have added some links to groups, departments and organizations which may be regarded as seeking to help bring the specified change about, or as putting what we propose into practice.  I would be grateful for suggestions for more such links.  "What Needs to Change?" also lists 11 humanitarian aspirations.

                                 Many FoW, I am sure, will disagree with some of the points made on the website.  It does, however, I think, indicate the kind of issues FoW should primarily be concerned with.  Initial emails that touch only tangentially on these concerns - emails about, perhaps, the finer points of unified field theory or of Hegelian philosophy - should be sent to the secondary, discussion list, and not to the primary list.

                                 If you send an email to the primary list which is likely to stimulate discussion, and you do not belong to the secondary list, you should probably join, if only temporarily, so that you can learn of, and perhaps respond to, replies.  Others too, of course, can join temporarily to follow or contribute to discussion of particular issues.

                                 I propose that the address of the primary list (the sub-list) be what our list is at present: [log in to unmask] , and the secondary, discussion list (the super-list) be [log in to unmask] , the "D" standing for "discussion".

                                 I hope all this meets with some approval, and achieves what it is intended to achieve.

                                           Best wishes,

                                                     Nick
www.nick-maxwell.demon.co.uk