From: [log in to unmask]>Karl Rogers
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: 25 May 2006 21:19
Subject: Science and Wisdom-Inquiry

Hi Alan,

I liked your allusion to 'Dr Who and the Cybermen'. As I argued in On The Metaphysics of Experimental Physics, the science of cybernetics is the culmination of the positivist interpretation of both science and Nature, which ultimately reduces the ontology of the natural world to the contours abstracted from the interaction between human interventions and machine performances. The scientific realist 'logic of discovery' is thereby represented as being the process of explaining technological innovation in terms of the realisation and exercise of natural mechanisms in material practices. This means that a distinction is maintained between science-as-description and science-as-explanantion (manifested in terms of the empiricist vs. realist debate), while the scientific methodology remains one of designing, constructing, and mapping out machine performances.

Largely my criticisms of science are directed to the unquestioning acceptance that the experimental sciences (such as physics, chemistry, genetics, biochemistry, neuroscience, etc.) are natural sciences. To the extent that other sciences (including some of the social sciences) model themselves on the experimental sciences, then these should be included as well. As I am sure that you agree, I think that this has profound implications for how life is understood by the biological sciences.

Increasingly, biology has become dominated by genetics and biochemistry because these fit into the technological framework, reducing life to a set of fundamental machine performances, and provides machine prototypes (in exchange for funding) to satisfy the commerical, military, and civic ambitions of those who fund scientific research.
My concern (discussed in Modern Science and the Capriciousness of Nature) is the way that the metaphysical foundation of experimental science, which I term as mechanical realism, and the underlying societal gamble in the goodness of a technological society over the natural world, 'naturalises' the development of the industrial-military-university complex as being a rational consequence of natural evolution and, hence, the dominant conceptions of 'rationality' and the human good life are placed in the service of a social elite and its interests in such a way as to represent it as the only rational basis for human existence. All resistance and opposition to the 'progress' of industrial capitalism (especially in the so-called Third World) is represented as being a product of either resentment or an irrational romanticism.

As you know, during my time at Bath University, I have become aware of your research and ideas about inclusionality. It is a view that I am very sympathetic to and interesting in. I have not responded to your emails in this forum largely because I wanted to leave a space for others (perhaps who were not familiar with your ideas) to respond and discuss them with you.

While I think that there are interesting directions in non-linear mathematics and visualisation that have bearing on your ideas, what I personally find most appealing is that, by appealing to the spatial and temporal situatedness of the observer, it seems to me that your ideas about inclusionality call for something of a return to natural history and phenomenological narrative, which, in my view, provides the basis for a deeper and more scientific relation with the natural world. I think that the development of the technosciences was an impoverishment of human understanding of the natural world. Alternatively, situated phenomenological narratives have been painstakingly developed through centuries of natural history and careful observation of nature-as-it-seems. The problem was that the whole concept of objectivity has become one of reproduction in controlled conditions -- which transforms natural beings into sets of machine performances which are amenable to quantification and interventions. AAs a result of this fundamental transformation in the character of observation, it seems to me that biological science has become completely disinterested in the natural world and is obsessed with technological innovation.

While I find your ideas about inclusionality to be convincing, as I have said in previous converstations with you, my only point of disagreement with your position is that you let the dominant technoscientific paradigm have too much sway on the nature of rationality. Hence, you position inclusionality in opposition to rationality. I think that you concede too much by doing this. It seems to me that there is a strong argument that positivistic science is irrational, if we adopt a much broader and deeper conception of rationality, within which an ongoing critical reflection of the fundamental presuppositions and assumptions of science are essential for any claim for the rationality of science. And it seems to me that there is a strong argument that your ideas about the importance of examining the need for inclusionality in biological science is itself a consequence of your rational investigation into the foundations of biological science.
What do you think?

Karl.

"A.D.M.Rayner" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Nick, Karl and all,

I feel in close correspondence with what Karl is, I think, saying here about how its coupling with technology sustains orthodox science as a form of supernaturalism, alienated from natural process, in a manner that is alluded to in science fiction stories like 'Dr Who and the Cybermen'.

I also feel close kinship with the view that the role of philosophy is to reveal and explore the implications of underlying assumptions, and, where these assumptions are found to be wanting in terms of their representation of natural process, to explore ways in which more representative premises could be developed. This is what I have been attempting in my teaching and research.

Notwithstanding the deafening silence that has followed my recent communications with this forum, I continue to feel that there is a mutually beneficial connection to be made with my/our explorations of 'inclusionality'. So, perhaps against my better judgement, I am responding to what has been said in this thread.

Yesterday, I thought of two very simple statements of the distinction between rationalistic and inclusional enquiry:

1. The logical premise of inclusional enquiry is that natural form is
primarily fluid dynamic (space-including) and hence non-linear, continually transforming (simultaneously and reciprocally receptive and responsive), and not completely definable at any scale.

2. The logical premise of rationalistic enquiry is that natural form is
primarily fixed (space-excluding) and hence linear and completely definable at any scale, so that change (action and reaction in sequential time) is dependent on the imposition
of external force.

So the question is: which logical premise and mode of enquiry makes sense
of our full human experience and is actually supported by contemporary scientific
evidence? And which ultimately makes nonsense and is supported only by belief in a
visual illusion, self-sustained by technological development? And which includes space for emotional response in a dynamic (living) context?

Sorry to be so persistent.

Best

Alan