Bruce,
I believe - my experience is - that most of the great texts of the
different world traditions can be used as paths to discover or pursue
wisdom. I think that's much of why they are thought to be "great" -
and have inspired people over centuries. What "works" in any era or
place? - an interesting discussion.

My own "practice" includes a great deal of "body-work" - yoga for 15+
years (in a "rational" vein - I can explain!) - violin practice - and
part of my larger study is in the context of body-mind dualism. So I
appreciate this part of your article. How workouts "work" - a very
good question - about which I think a good deal. (Part of being is
being a body in gravity, which has increasing effects as we age. We
can specify many of them.

More than reading or studying Proverbs or Lao-tze or...I find it most
interesting to try to figure out how those thinkers thought -
extrapolating from their times to these, and "walk" with them/their
thinking throughout each day. I play, for example, with Nietzsche's
"Zarathustra" living way up high both of the world, yet removed. I
try to understand different traditions in terms of "life-paradoxes" -
important in western thought -change vs. permanence - which we try to
resolve, rather than deal with as complementary as do far Eastern
thinkers. Is this all part of the pursuit of wisdom?
Harvey