  From: ted lumley
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 4:54 PM
  Subject: Re: Introduction: Roger Anderton

  hi roger,

  yes, i think there is a connection with einstein's research into unified field theory and 'inclusionality' in that both deepen the notion of dynamics from the time-based motion of absolute-center-based objects (geometric closed forms) to the inner-outer a-centric transformation of space (i.e. of 'field', understood as a spacetime continuum), which implies a shift from the materialist western worldview to an eastern 'flow' view, ... something that there is fierce resistance to.

  that is, if everything can be explained in terms of field, then 'the behaviour of material bodies' becomes secondary (as in inclusionality, and as faraday showed was the case in electromagnetism), and this is what is being resisted since mainstream science is hugely invested in a foundational role for 'the behaviour of material bodies).  e.g. what would western medicine do without it?  (it would become a supportive tool to eastern, naturalist medicine wherein 'health' = 'dynamical inner-outer balance' on an inclusionally nested basis, rather than 'all parts working correctly').  as einstein and infeld say;

  " We cannot build physics on the basis of the matter-concept alone.  But the division into matter and field is, after the recognition of the equivalence of mass and energy, something artificial and not clearly defined.  Could we not reject the concept of matter and build a pure field physics?  What impresses our senses as matter is really a great concentration of energy into a comparatively small space.  We could regard matter as the regions in space where the field is extremely strong.  In this way a new philosophical background could be created.  Its final aim would be the explanation of all events in nature by structure laws valid always and everywhere.  A thrown stone is, from this point of view, a changing field, where the states of greatest field intensity travel through space with the velocity of the stone.  There would be no place, in our new physics, for both field and matter, field being the only reality.  This new view is suggested by the great achievements of field physics, by our success in expressing the laws of electricity, magnetism, gravitation in the form of structure laws, and finally by the equivalence of mass and energy."  --- einstein and infeld, The Evolution of Physics

  'letting go' of material bodies in the role of dynamical-behaviour sourcing may have been achieved in electromagnetic field theory, but thought it has been implied by relativity, it has not been achieved in gravitational field theory, since it would mean that we would have to give up the self-center-sourcing of behaviour ('first cause') in material body complexes such as humans (behavioural 'self-determination' or 'causal responsibility');

  "Many object to self determinism on the grounds that if everything needs a cause, then so do the acts of the will. Thus it is often asked, What caused the will to act? The self determinist can respond to this question by pointing out that it is not the will of a person that makes a decision but the person acting by means of his will. And since the person is the first cause of his acts, it is meaningless to ask what the cause of the first cause is. Just as no outside force caused God to create the world, so no outside force causes people to choose certain actions. For man is created in God's image, which includes the possession of free will.

  A further argument for free will is that God's commandments carry a divine "ought" for man, implying that man can and should respond positively to his commands. The responsibility to obey God's commands entails the ability to respond to them, by God's enabling grace. Furthermore, if man is not free, but all his acts are determined by God, then God is directly responsible for evil, a conclusion that is clearly contradicted by Scripture (Hab. 1:13; James 1:13 - 17).

  Therefore, it seems that some form of self determinism is the most compatible with the biblical view of God's sovereignty and man's responsibility."

  another example of where sciences (in this case biology) as a discipline, simply discard scientific work that contradicts 'first cause' within the object/organism, is in the case of biologists whose work gains sufficiently widespread recognition to sway the understanding of the public and 'put the heat on' the experts and gatekeepers of the scientific discipline; i.e. stephen jay gould who insisted that the one-sided concept of 'fitness' in evolutionary biology made no sense since, using the baseball metaphor that one could not meaningfully speak of 'hitting' out of the context of 'fielding' (implying that the two dynamics, the former masculine assertive and the latter feminine-accommodative (receptive/resistive) are not 'two dynamics', but one 'relative' dynamic).   in what has been called 'the science wars', ... the gatekeepers of evolutionary biology have banded together to discredit the ideas of gould simply by calling him 'confused' and by this, discrediting the essential core of his thinking.   i.e. allowing relativity and field-flow concepts to take on a foundational role, and making objects 'schaumkommen' or 'appearances' as in schroedinger's view implies a paradigm shift to a dynamical relativity that subsumes behavioural 'first cause' and 'self-centricity' in organisms, that is anathema to 'hard westernism', and is being resisted by physicists wherever it crops up in philosophy, as well; e.g. The Invention of Jacques Derrida, Physics Faker

  http://math.bu.edu/people/nk/rr/jd.html

  'inclusionality' involves this same paradigm shift as in 'unified field theory', wherein paradoxes such as 'which came first, the chicken or the egg' are resolved by the subsumation of linear-sequential time with spatial-relational transformation; i.e. the question emerges from the linearization of dynamical experience which is essentially inner-outer as in field-flow-dynamics, .. and thus meets with the same kind of culture resistance from advocates of 'hard westernism' (advocates of self-centered first-cause of behaviour in organisms etc., the decreeing of 'first cause' equating to temporal-sequential linearization).

  anyhow, that's one way of looking at 'the connection' between inclusionality and unified field theory and why the current 'establishment' of physics, which seems to be coming from a 'hard western philosophy', would like to 'bury' those works that imply its subsumation by the materialism-demoting notion of 'field-flow'.

  regards,

  ted  lumley