Jim Bugslag wrote:

>> which *some* people of the Art Hysterical Persuasion want to read as
>> "Ivo [caused to be] built a beautifully decorated choirscreen
>> [_jubé_]."
>>
>> the present choirscreen at Chartres is 16th-17th c., and replaces
>> one from the first half of the 13th c., which survives in some
>> fragments (mostly in the St. Piat chapel off the apse).
>
> You should probably be differentiating here between "jube" and "choir
> screen".

No, Christopher is right.  The 'choir screen' is what we now call a
"pulpitum", and is usually a stone screen at the entrance to the choir.  The
complication is that in monastic churches (especially those with a parochial
nave) there was a rood screen one bay west of the pulpitum.  This had  a
central altar on its western face, flanked by two doorways, and the rood
above.  A cathedral would not normally have this second screen, and the
pulpitum is usually called a choir screen.

The term "jubé" is from " jube, domine, benedicere" - which was presumably
presumably sung 'in pulpito...'

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]