I appears in the _Missale Romanum_ in the Solemn Liturgy for Good Friday in the Improperia, sung during the Adoratio Crucis. It is still there today, though [sadly] not often sung. It is sung first in Greek, then in Latin. The triple [H]AGIOS formulary is: [H]AGIOS O THEOS, Sanctus Deus;  [H]AGIOS ISCHYROS, Santus Fortis; [H]AGIOS ATHANATOS, ELEISON HYMAS, Sanctus Immortalis, miserere nobis. By some strange coincidence, I happen to be hearing it sung on a Good Friday CD just as I'm sending this note.

Stan Metheny
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: denis Hüe
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 5:32 AM
  Subject: [M-R] liturgical query

  dilectissimi sapientes
  I am presently working on a passage taken from a French Mystery play wher I have found a passage moking a pagan ceremony. The priest of the pagan religion expresses himself in an inventive and creative Greek where he uses Agios Athanatos Adonai which one could think is taken from the office from Good Friday. I would like to ask my imminent colleagues if it was present in the liturgy pretridentine.
  Thanks you in advance.

  N'en sai plus dire
  Denis Hüe,
  responsable du Master Lettres Langues Communication
  Centre d'Etude des Textes Médiévaux, (CETM-CELAM)
  Université de Haute Bretagne
  http://www.uhb.fr/alc/medieval

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]