I believe the creatures came into Jewish & Christian thought via Ezekiel.  See:

Title: Animal rites: the four living creatures in patristic exegesis and liturgy
Author(s): Stevenson, Kenneth
Source: Studia Patristica XXXIV, Historica, biblica, theologica et philosophica p 470-492. Louvain : Peeters, 2001 ATLA0000064633
ISBN: 9042908815
Publication Year: 2001
Language: English
Subjects: Bible (OT) Ezekiel 1-24; Bible (NT) Revelation 4-22; Symbolism, Christian; Animals in the Bible
Scripture Citation: Ezekiel 1:5-14; Revelation 4:6-8
General Note: Paper presented at the 13th Intl Conf on Patristic Studies, Oxford, 1999.
Publication Type: Essay

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Research Services Librarian
 and Gifts-in-Kind Officer
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/28/06 6:41 AM >>>

Apologies for cross-postings.

I am  passing on an oral request from a friend, and apologise for the
vagueness of my  description.  He is recently back from a tour of central Asia,
including  Persepolis, where he was intrigued to see in Darius' palace a set of
pillars  decorated with pictures which very closely resembled (to his eye at
least) the  emblems later associated with the writers of the four gospels --
winged lion,  winged man, etc.  (Forgive the 'etc' but this is not my field at
all....)

He would like to know how if at all the Darian imagery was  adopted by
Christians.  I suspect the answer, if there is one, will begin  "It is not that
simple...".

tia
Susan

to: [log in to unmask]