I don't wish to prolong this, and I never insisted I was right;  but  it must
be over fifty years ago that I was taught that it was originally 'sous',  and
I know that I am by no means the only one to have been told this.   Whether
it is true or not, others may judge.  Wikipedia has (at
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_d'Avignon_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_d'Avignon) )  more
or less what I was led to believe -- which I repeat is not proof of  anything
other than that the idea is not risible, and (assuming anyone cares) is  worth
further proper investigation.

You will note that Pierre Certon's original song was /Sus le pont.../, and
there are modern recordings of it as /Sus..../ (e.g. by the Boston Camerata,
made in 1979, before they can have been influenced by Wikipedia...).  There
will be people here who will say whether 'sus' is better translated into modern
French as 'sous' rather than 'sur'.

Susan

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]