Good luck to Jon Cannon for his paper at the Lady Chapels Conference in
Oxford this coming weekend - and too to Cathy Oakes (who keeps a fairly low
profile on this list!)  I shall be very sorry to miss this conference, but I
shall be otherwise engaged at what I believe to be Jon's more usual stamping
ground (Burwalls)!

Stuart Harrison's paper should be quite dazzling - I believe he will
demonstrate that the Durham Lady Chapel was moved to the west end and
re-assembled in a quite different way.

It will be interesting to see if any light is thrown on the knotty problem
of which came first, the Lady Chapel or the daily Lady Mass.  I have rather
belatedly found a reference touching on this (albeit one with which I
disagree pretty comprehensively):

M.F. Hearn & L. Willis, "The iconography of the Lady Chapel of Salisbury
Cathedral", in L. Keen & T. Cocke (eds), Medieval Art and Architecture at
Salisbury Cathedral (1996) pp.40-45 (British Archaeological Association
Conference Transactions XVII).

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]