> I'm interested in this question because on 'theme' I will be proposing
> is that Lady Chapels can have a corporate dimension, embodying the
> community as a whole seeking the Virgin's protection.

Dear Jon,
So far in this discussion, only the "official" liturgical uses of Lady Chapels have
been mentioned.  The question of private devotion, or private corporate devotion
(ie. corporations, brotherhoods, guilds) has not been raised yet.  Back when I was
doing research for my M.A. thesis, I speculated that the Lady Chapel of Rochester
Cathedral was enlarged in the later Middle Ages specifically to accommodate more
burials, a highly individualistic priority.  As the Middle Ages advanced, churches, in
general, tended to be used more "individually" than "corporatively".  This is hardly a
very well considered position, but have you considered such perspectives?
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]