On Saturday, April 1, 2006, at 5:56 pm, Phyllis wrote:

> Today (2. April) is the feast day of:

> Francis of Paola (d. 1507)  Francesco came from small-farmer stock.
> His parents, though, had spent several childless years, so they
> vowed
> any son they might have to Francis of Assisi.  Sure enough, they
> then
> produced a son, who was named after the great saint, and raised to
> be
> pious.  At age 12 he was taken to a friary to spend a year

The friary was at San Marco (Sammarco) in northern Calabria, today's San
Marco Argentano (CS).  It still exists and is still Franciscan: it and
its church are known as the Convento e la Chiesa della Riforma because
it was once a Reformed Franciscan house.  It has been much reworked over
the centuries but its church of St. Anthony of Padua, whose present
austere exterior
http://tinyurl.com/g276l
conceals a more elaborate baroque interior, still retains elements of
its original "gothic" form.  Two of these (the windows in the apse) are
visible in this view:
http://www.comune.sanmarcoargentano.cs.it/santantonio.jpg
The church's thirteenth-century fresco of St. Anthony is shown on this
Italian-language page on the complex:
http://web.tiscali.it/argentanum/riforma.htm
Brief English- and Italian-language accounts are here:
http://www.esperia.it/attrazioni/chiesariforma.htm
A view of the cloister:
http://www.comune.sanmarcoargentano.cs.it/convento.jpg

San Marco Argentano was an early base for Robert Guiscard's Calabrian
conquests and still has noteworthy structures surviving from the Norman
period.  While he was here, F. would have seen the town's cathedral,
begun around the year 1080 and dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra in 1087
(the year he landed in Bari).  This was heavily rebuilt in the 1930s and
now sports a modern facade and a new belltower.  A side view from the
early twentieth century:
http://web.tiscali.it/argentanum/Catt1.gif
and this view of the rear:
http://www.comune.sanmarcoargentano.cs.it/cattedrale.jpg
give some idea of the building's late medieval exterior appearance.
The brief English- and Italian-language accounts here each have a view
of the nave:
http://www.esperia.it/attrazioni/cattedralesanmarco.htm
The reconstruction of the 1930s led to the reopening of the cathdral's
extensive crypt, several expandable views of which may be seen on this
page (scroll down to 'La cripta'):
http://www.occhiettineri.it/Itinerari/CS-SMarcoArg.php

Among the cathedral's treasures is the reliquary cross shown and
described here:
http://tinyurl.com/g86mx
and here:
http://web.tiscali.it/argentanum/cattedrale.htm
This was donated in 1321 by a new bishop who previously had been abbot
of the also Guiscard-founded abbey of Santa Maria della Matina, a short
distance outside of town.  Urban II stayed here in 1092.  The abbey,
which became Cistercian in 1322, was already in decline in F.'s time.
In the nineteenth century what was left of the complex was converted to
a private dwelling; the present owners make it accessible to those who
wish to view the remains of its thirteenth-century Cistercian form.  A
brief, English-language account is here:
http://tinyurl.com/jgq9e
Various illustrated, Italian-language accounts are here (scroll down to
'L'Abbazia della Matina'):
http://www.comune.sanmarcoargentano.cs.it/monumenti.htm
here:
http://web.tiscali.it/argentanum/cattedrale.htm
and here:
http://www.comprensivosanmarco.it/matina.htm
One more view of the chapter house:
http://www.discoveritalia.it/iwe/images/content/540.jpg

For those who like military architecture, the castle of San Marco
Argentano (rebuilt in stone in the twelfth century on what had been
Guiscard's basic plan) deserves a look:
http://tinyurl.com/hr92t
http://www.ville-caen.fr/mdn/plantagenets/san-marco.html
A model of the original structure:
http://www.ville-caen.fr/mdn/plantagenets/ImgSanMarco.htm
Some contemporary views:
http://192.167.233.134/esaro/img/itin2b.jpg
http://www.occhiettineri.it/FotoS.MarcoArg/03%20Torre%20Normanna%203.php
http://www.occhiettineri.it/FotoS.MarcoArg/02%20Torre%20Normanna%202.php

Returning briefly to F., it's perhaps worth noting that his reputation
for sanctity and adversion to pomp caused Louis XI of France to request
his presence as a spiritual counselor.  In 1483 F. yielded to pressure
from his pope (Sixtus IV) and from his king (Ferrante/Ferrando I) and
journeyed via Naples to France, where he was soon installed in a
hermitage built for him on the royal estate at Plessis-les-Tours.  He
died here in the reign of Louis XII and was buried in a chapel on the
estate that already housed the body of the deposed last Aragonese king
of mostly mainland Sicily, Ferrando I's second legitimate son, Federico
(d. 1504), who as duke of Maine had been living in exile at the chateau
here.  In 1562 Huguenots ransacked the chapel and burned both bodies.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]