Hi

I've lurked around the list for a while so should introduce myself. I'm a
PhD student at Cambridge working on eleventh and twelfth century saints'
Lives, focusing on three Lives of Dunstan written in England between 1090
and 1130.

By way of a footnote to the recent discussion on St George, there appears
to have been an altar to St George at Glastonbury before the conquest, as
witnessed by B.'s Life of Dunstan (995 x 1004). The story, of Dunstan being
attacked by the devil in the form of a bear, survives in all the subsequent
versions including William of Malmesbury's text for Glastonbury produced c.
1129.

Best wishes

Sandy Vaughan
Robinson College