***SORRY FOR CROSS-POSTINGS***

*Life Cycle Perspective for Social Impacts: Needs and challenges

**Thursday 15th of June 2006*
*Polydôme, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne*
*
*

We are pleased to invite you to the 29^th Discussion Forum (DF) on Life
Cycle Assessment (LCA) addressing the topic of *quantifying social
impacts in a life cycle perspective*.

Companies are getting used to report on social issues in their annual
(sustainability) reports. It is mainly focused on the activities of the
companies and does not apply a life cycle perspective. The LCA method
has been developed to measure the environmental performance of a
product, a service, a company, etc... As a complementary approach, Life
Cycle Costing (LCC) has been added to take into account the economic
aspects of products and services. In order to be exhaustive in assessing
*the three pillars of sustainability*, the two methods mentioned should
be complemented by a kind of "*Social LCA*" to consider the social
effects of products and services. However, the first question is: "Is
this really feasible?" and then, if yes, how current information
practice can be used?

The presentations and discussions of the 29^th Discussion Forum shall
help to find answers to this overall question. In detail, the following
questions will be addressed during this day:

    * Which social issues are reported in a quantified way in
      sustainability reports?
    * Can we profit from sustainability reporting of companies?
    * Are we able to quantify social impacts in a life cycle perspective?
    * if yes, which social indicators would be feasible and meaningful
      in a life cycle perspective?
    * if no, is it due to a lack of data or a lack of homogenous
      information?
    * How can we define an indicator to measure welfare?

In particular, the forum will look at the quantification of social
effects, the characterization and modelling of social effects, the
already available life cycle approaches to include social effects, the
monetarization of social externalities and on case studies on evaluating
the social effects with a life cycle perspective.

The forum will be held in Lausanne, at the Ecole Polytechnique fédérale
de Lausanne. The floor is *open for short presentation* (10 minutes). If
you are interested, please submit an abstract *before the 15th of May*.

The forum will be held in English.

We hope that this forum will be of interest for you and we look forward
to welcoming you in Lausanne.

Yves Loerincik, Ecointesys - Life Cycle Systems

More information can be found on www.lcainfo.ch/df
<http://www.lcainfo.ch/df>
--
LCA Forum
Ecointesys SA

--

Yves Loerincik
Ing. dipl. EPFL

My Skype username: yloerinc

To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/industrial-ecology

or send the following command to [log in to unmask]
leave industrial-ecology