This is probably no news to people who are already up on the history of the Egyptian deity, Seth, but I was doing some background reading on him last night and seeing as he can be traced back to 4000-3500 BCE, and has a mythology, history of worship, was patron to the Ramessid kings, appeared frequently in various forms of iconography and embodied an actual part of the Egyptian landscape (the desert).... I suppose one could say that as compared to a figure like Satan, (which I think Seth is, in that the Temple of Set formed in reaction, in part, to the Church of Satan), despite whatever origins Satan may have (which I'm really not up on, other than knowing that he was a Hebrew angel once upon a time - and I know the Hebrews were in contact with Egypt of course, but did Satan come from Seth?),... Anyway, it struck me that it is Satan who is the new deity who has accumulated all the projections - like some sort of giant dart board - and who especially has been molded into what he is generally thought to be by dualistic Christian thought, whereas Seth is "purer" in a historical, "Pagan" sense - coming from an authentic polytheistic society - he hasn't been paid attention to by Christians - Seth is still Seth (and if people have 'changed' him, inspired by their own gnosis, or by other reasons, then that'd only be quite a recent thing, right?).

Anyway, those were my thoughts as I woke up this morning which, as I said, would be blindingly evident to Set-afficionados I'm sure.

~Caroline.