From: Bill East <[log in to unmask]>

> Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Joseph, foster-father of Jesus, doesn't seem to have been much noticed
before the late Middle Ages.

> Respondeo: Phyllis speaks the truth here.

pr'haps.

or not.

in any event he's not an entirely uncommon feature (albeit frequently a rather
drole one) in Nativity, Adoration and Flight scenes in French Romanesque
sculpture:

http://art-roman.net/autun/autun59x.jpg

http://art-roman.net/autun/autun43.jpg

http://art-roman.net/autun/autun46x.jpg

http://art-roman.net/saulieu/saulieu21x.jpg

etc.

>as a certain amount of levity seems now to be tolerated on the list,

you're quite welcome.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]