In the west, at least, claims about the presence of women were used to
discredit particular religious groups, and may not have reflected the real
presence (no pun intended) of women in those groups.  So watch out for
rhetorical topoi.  Best, Megan

At 12:26 AM 4/1/2006 +0800, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>I am not exactly sure here, but are there existing accounts of the roles
>played by women in heresies that Eastern (Byzantine) Christianity tried to
>suppress, such as the case of the Bogomils? This could be one lead.
>
>Kevin Jang
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Bugslag" <[log in to unmask]>

Megan McLaughlin
Associate Professor of History and Women's Studies
Department of History, 309 Gregory Hall
810 South Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois  61801  U.S.A.
Phone:  217-244-2084