Just to clarify, in terms of Preservation Repositories, or the preservation
service provider model, we don't envisage user deposit in these
repositories. Instead, a harvesting method is likely to be used. Of course
it's possible these services will create new versions, by migrating
formats, or updating metadata, but these would be under controlled, managed
conditions. That's the point of Preservation Repositories, a controlled
environment, based on an agreement between the IR and the preservation service.

Steve Hitchcock
Preserv Project Manager
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865
http://preserv.eprints.org/