Hi Jason
Excuse my ignorance, but hopefully I'm not alone in wondering what is 'OAI Harvesting'?
Nigel

-----Original Message-----
From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Jason Siddall
Sent: 14 March 2006 13:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Heritage Gatway

Will the portal use  OAI Harvesting?

cheers
Jason A. Siddall
Project and IT Leader
Discovering Shropshire's History - Learning from our Landscapes
Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Neil Campling         |
|         |           <Neil.Campling@NORTHYO|
|         |           RKS.GOV.UK>           |
|         |           Sent by: Issues       |
|         |           related to Historic   |
|         |           Environment Records   |
|         |           UK>                   |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           14/03/2006 12:32      |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           Issues related to     |
|         |           Historic Environment  |
|         |           Records               |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                      |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: The Heritage Gatway                                                                      |

Dear all,

I'm not quite sure why telling me who is on the project board or who
supports the project is a good answer to the issues of the function of
the projects, duplication of effort, or value for money.  That's a bit
akin to biblical exegesis - resorting to authority rather than evidence.

I await Ms Cayley's note about the differences between the two projects
and what they are supposed to do.  As for Heirport, we checked up once
on our service details, but have not yet found it necessary to use it.

Cheers,
Neil

>>> [log in to unmask] 14/03/2006 10:41:02 >>>
Neil (and other list members)

Sorry you weren't able to make it to the HER Forum meeting back in
December when my colleague Catherine Cayley gave a presentation about
the Heritage Gateway, as this would have given you more information
about the project and its aims.

Catherine also sent out a HER User Requirement in September 2005
document which your colleague Nick Boldrini replied to, which is the
first step in sectoral consultation in the project.  The Project board
includes representation from ALGAO (Stuart Bryant) and IHBC (Sean
O'Reilly) and on the Project Team representing HERs are Sarah Poppy &
Paul Gilman.

I have asked Catherine Cayley to write a short note about the
relationship of the Heritage Gateway to Heirport and this will be
forwarded to the list shortly (unfortunately she is not able to do
this
today).

If you have any specific comments or concerns about the Heritage
Gateway
project, can I suggest that you address them off-list to
[log in to unmask]  or
[log in to unmask] or telephone: 01793 414560.

I hope that this goes some way to allay your concerns, but as I say
Catherine will be sending something to the list in the next few days
clarify.

Regards,

Bruce

English Heritage

National Monuments Record

Kemble Drive

Swindon

SN2 2GZ

Tel: 01793 414880  Fax: 01793 414770

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Heritage Information Partnerships
<http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.8332>

HER Forum email list <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/HERFORUM.html>

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may
be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the view
of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.

Any opinions expressed in this e-mail or any attached files
are those of the individual, and not necessarily those of
Shropshire County Council.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the addressee.  This
communication may contain material protected by law from
being passed on.  If you are not the intended recipient and
have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the IT Technology Services
Manager at Shropshire County Council, telephone 01743 252131

http://www.shropshireonline.gov.uk