Dear Mr Walton,

This is all covered by the ACAO (now ALGAO) booklet on policies for access and charging (ACAO 1993).  Local authorities are allowed to charge for information under the 1972 and 1985 Local Government Acts.  Local authorities are not allowed to charge a profit but a reasonable recovery of costs.  Local authorities do not normally charge students or educational projects as the LAs are also education authorities with a statutory duty to support this kind of activity - indeed they often give money to students, so to take it away again would be foolish.  On the other hand, LAs are not required to subsidise consultants or contractors working commercially.  We all reserve the right to waive fees given special circumstances.

Cheers,
Neil Campling

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/03/2006 13:13:57 >>>
All,

Interesting debate. From a once involved archaeologist the policies
seem rather diverse and puzzling. I think several questions need to be
asked about charging / charging policies.

1) What is the aim of charging ie. is it cost-recovery OR revenue
earning.

2) How is the charge calculated ie. from a physical resource and/or
intelectual price for the information.

3) What is the argument for differential charging -

I don't see the reason behind charging 'consultant' and not charging
others - surely time and effort is the same no matter where the enquiry
is from? What would stop me as a 'consultant' simply claiming that I
am doing it for private research?

cheers