In 'User's Guides to the Medical Literature' the fine book edited by Guyatt and Rennie it is noted that values further away from the point estimate are less probable than those closer to the point estimate eg. With a 95%CI 1-16%, the extreme values in the confidence interval are less likely to occur than those around the observed point estimate eg 8%. I have seen this stated elsewhere, and while it makes sense intuitively I have not seen any evidence to support this view. Can anyone direct me to the evidence? Also, does it follow that if a trial is repeated X times, the observed point estimate for each trial be normally distributed within the confidence interval of an adequately powered trial?

Andrew Jull RN MA (Appl)

Research Fellow

Clinical Trials Research Unit

School of Population Health

University of Auckland

Private Bag 92019

AUCKLAND

Phone:  +64 9 373-7599 extn 84744         Fax:      +64 9 373-1710

Email:   [log in to unmask]          Web:    www.ctru.auckland.ac.nz