--- Erik Drigsdahl <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In York was it St. Valentines day today (Monday), at
> least in the 1530'ies (!)

Hi Erik

The York liturgical books of the '30s (and, indeed,
before and after) are unanimous in ascribing St
Valentine to the 14th February, not the 13th.

Books of hours are, however, not liturgical, and are
places to tread warily. The calendar 'snip' you gave
lists the following, who do not appear anywhere in the
Use of York liturgy:

> c	7	Sancti Auguli
> d	8	Pauli episcopi
> e	9	Apolonie virginis
> g	11	Sancti Severini
> c	14	Sancti licinij episcopi
> d	15	Sancti Faustini et Iouite
> f	17	Policarpi episcopi
> g	18	Symeonis epi. & mart.
> b	20	Mildrede virginis

If you check further on, Wordsworth also lists for
March items such as:
17  Intravit Noe in Archam
23  Adam creatus est

which are clearly non-liturgical; indeed, most of his
listings for March similarly do not appear anywhere in
the liturgical books.

The kalendars given in Horae are purely devotional and
compiled according to the interests of the compiler in
providing a saint per day.

There is indeed a danger lurking, but it subsists in
not recognising which books are not liturgically
representative!

Wordsworth might have spotted this, had he consulted
his own edition of the Breviary...

Some years ago I collated the Use of York calendar
from all of the printed sources and around 90% of
surviving manuscripts. If I can remember where I
backed it up to I'll tidy it up and forward it to John
to add to his collection.

Cheers

Rob Durk

to: [log in to unmask]