Does anyone know of the symbolic importance attached
to gentian, in either a mythological or religious
context, in the Middle Ages and Renaissance? Mirella
Levi D'Ancona's _Garden of the Renaissance_ barely
touches upon it.

This is in the context of a 16th-century painting of
the Conversion of the Magdalene by Luini, probably the
basis for Caravaggio's depiction of the theme (in
which she holds an orange blossom). I'd be happy to
send a JPG to anyone interested.

With thanks,

Torie Reed
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston