From: "Postles, Dr D.A." <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:49 PM
Subject: [M-R] cathedral naves

If I understand it correctly, parishioners were expected to process to their
cathedral church at pentecost - pentecostal processions.  They carried
banners which, it has been suggested (for England, in the 12th century)
explains the height of the nave.  It seems that the processions did actually
take place, as bishops of large dioceses appointed alternative venues
because of the distance, during the 12th century in England.  Later, of
course, the obligation was commuted (usually called smoke penny or smoke
farthing).  This is based on Martin Brett, The Church under Henry I, and the
additional information in the BritAc volumes of English Episcopal Acta.
Sorry to be so Anglocentric.
D.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]