 I have a faint memory of reading that there was an effort by towns to
control beggars, & that you had to be registered in a town to beg in
it.  When or where this was, I have no idea, but it sounds reasonable.
Certainly, in late antiquity there were registration systems for the
corn dole & for church charity. I have also read that Augustinian houses
were usually located by city gates whenever possible as they ministered
to beggars.

If anyone knows where I read these fragments, or can correct me, please do.

DW

Andrea Luxenburg wrote:

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>

>>In a message dated 2/11/2006 5:10:41 PM Central
>>Standard Time,
>>[log in to unmask] writes:
>>Were medieval beggars tradtionally stationed at city
>>gates, and if so, what
>>is the evidence for this?
>>

>I can't speak medievally on this, but it is Biblical:
>didn't Peter and John neet the lame beggar at the
>Beautiful Gate?
>
>Andrea  Luxenburg
>Wandering Scholar

to: [log in to unmask]