From: "John Briggs" <[log in to unmask]>

> Can anyone point me in the direction of a history of the Plainsong and
> Mediaeval Music Society?  I am particularly interested in who the founders
> were, and how they interacted with the liturgical scholars.  I am struck by
> the way that the Henry Bradshaw Society volumes, for example, studiously
> ignore the music.  Were they observing strict demarcation, or were they
> influenced by earlier scholars, such as William Maskell, who didn't consider
> the music to be part of the liturgy?

There is a brief introduction by David Hiley, 'The Plainsong & Mediaeval Music
Society, 1888-1988', in Susan Rankin and David Hiley (eds.), Music in the
Medieval English Liturgy: Plainsong & Mediaeval Music Society Centennial Essays
(Oxford, 1993), 1-7. It's short because 'any attempt to write such an account
runs into a more or less insuperable obstacle: the lack of early records of the
Society's activities'. He points to Dom Anselm Hughes, Septuagesima (London:
PMMS, 1959) as a valuable source of information up to the late 1950s.

Bonnie Blackburn

Bonnie Blackburn
67 St Bernard's Road
Oxford OX2 6EJ