On Saturday, February 4, 2006, at 9:28 am, Phyllis wrote:

> Rabanus Maurus (d. 856)  Rabanus was trained at Fulda, became one
> of
> the great scholars of the Carolingian renaissance, and in 822 was
> made abbot.  RM resigned in c. 840 and lived in retirement, but in
> 847 he was made archbishop of Mainz.  He proved to be an unpopular
> rigorist.

Starting yesterday, the Diocese of Mainz has been celebrating the 1150th
anniversary of its release from the rule of this unpopular rigorist.
Though, oddly, it doesn't seem to be putting it this way in any of its
promotional material.  See:
http://tinyurl.com/b4ese
http://tinyurl.com/dtksd
including this brief biography of R.:
http://tinyurl.com/8fx4c

The celebration includes a major exhibition in the diocesan museum,
whose announcement here:
http://tinyurl.com/de4au
offers among its several illustrations (after the price list) a detail
of a thirteenth-century sculptural portrait of R. as archbishop.
The illustration just above that one is of a page from the Vatican
Library's copy of R.'s _De laudibus sanctae crucis_.  That codex (Vat.
lat. 124) is a focal point of the exhibition.  A better view of the same
page is here:
http://tinyurl.com/bkt65
and a selection of views of details from the _De laudibus sanctae
crucis_ is here:
http://tinyurl.com/cg4w7

Best,
John Dillon