Off the top of my admittedly muddled head, I can say that Mary of Magdala,
Mary sister of Martha and Lazarus, the woman who washed Jesus' feet and
dried them with her hair, and the woman out of whom Jesus cast devils (with
the woman taken in adultery sometimes thrown into the mix) were ALL
conflated into one person at one time or another. I'm going to consult the
dreaded CE for further clarification but I'm sure others will have something
to say on the topic.
MG