Tyne and Wear's HER is online http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/sitelines

Jennifer Morrison
Tyne and Wear Archaeology Officer

Historic Environment Section
Urban Design and Conservation Group
Planning and Transportation Website address www.newcastle.gov.uk
Regeneration Directorate
Newcastle City Council      Tel    +44 0191 277 7193
Civic Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne  Fax    +44 0191 211 4998
NE1 8PH       e-mail [log in to unmask]

or

West Chapel   Tel & Fax     +44 0191 2816117
Jesmond Old Cemetery
Jesmond Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 1NJ

SCHOFIELD, John  (12/01/2006  14:30):
>Dear all
>

>Can someone tell me whether the following list of online SMRs/HERs is
>up-to-date, or whether there are any new additions.
>

>Aberdeenshire
>
>Durham
>
>Essex
>
>Herefordshire
>
>Highland
>
>Somerset
>

>As some of you will know, this enquiry relates to an assignment I set as
>part of the heritage management course I teach at Southampton
>University. For information this requires students - from the online
>resources alone - to assess three SMRs/HERs. The remainder of the task
>is currently worded thus:
>

>"1 Write a short (400 word) critique of three selected HERs, noting
>which are good and which are less good, giving reasons. Factors might
>include user-friendliness, the ease of comparing HER data with other
>sources of information held on-line by the county (eg. information on
>historic buildings, and natural environment records), the availability
>of aerial photographs allowing the reader to view monuments in landscape
>context, and the basic quantity and quality of information about
>individual sites and monuments. How could even the better of these HERs
>be improved?
>

>Then:
>

>2 Look at just one of the three HERs you have selected. Choose a single
>class of monument within it (eg. hillforts, monasteries, Roman roads)
>and:
>

>a)      Write a short (400 word) review describing its distribution
>within the county, the state of preservation, diversity of form etc. as
>well as any limitations in the data: what information did the HER not
>provide; and
>
>b)      Outline very briefly (200 words) how useful HERs are for
>archaeological research. Do you think they are useful as the basis for
>undergraduate dissertations for example?"
>

> I'd welcome any views on this, and on whether any improvements can be
>made.
>

>Thanks.
>

>John

the system manager.
All incoming and outgoing e-mails are monitored for the presence of
profanity and racist remarks, pornographic, sexually explicit or obscene material, and unsolicited content or spam.
www.mimesweeper.com
City of Newcastle website:-  http://www.newcastle.gov.uk
Newcastle Schools website:- http://www.newcastle-schools.org.uk
Competitive City:- http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/compcity