Chris,
I would be very disappointed if the mail list lis-cilip were to close, as
I believe it gives us the chance to discuss important topics relating to
library and information services. What is even more important is that it
gives us the chance to promote, and inform the general public about our
services and our profession. There has been much discussion about the need
for promoting ourselves, our jobs, standards, and the contribution made by
all libraries to the community, and lis-cilip does help with this. I would
support any motion that opposes the closure of this list.

As for your second point, nothing would surprise me about this governments
polices and intentions. Breaking news about the inability to track down
serious ex-offenders gives little chance to the idea that personal data
held by government would be held securely or used for the correct purpose
it was supplied for.

--
Jim Jackson ACLIP
C/O The Law Library

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own, and not those of the
University of Exeter. They do not form any statement by the University of
Exeter or any other member there of.