Hello Vicki

Maybe not a complete answer to your enquiry, but maybe this will help for the future.

Take your photographs at the highest quality setting that you can on the Canon; this should be more than adequate for any publishers. As long as you aren’t doing billboards, your camera will be perfect for almost any job.

300 dpi has, as far as I am aware, been perfectly OK for printing for some time.

As with computers, where programs expand to take up any increase in processor power and/or RAM, so as cameras increase in quality people ask for increasingly larger and larger files, with higher resolutions.

All the printed images I have seen recently have probably been 300dpi, and there was nothing wrong with any of them. There does come a point where the eye cannot resolve any better than it already does. Personally, I am at that point!

Hope this puts your mind a rest a little….

Iain Duncan

Photographer

RAF Museum.