Dear Julie,

At the Epipalaeolitic / early Neolithic site of  Hallan Çemi (Turkey),
concentrations of almonds were found.  At both Hallan Çemi and Demirköy,
almonds and Pistacia cf. khinjuk / atlantica var. kurdica represent only a
minor component of the whole assemblage (less than 1%).  However, ubiquity
figures suggest that they might have been stored (they were found in more
than half of the samples).  Please do not hesitate to get in touch directly
if you need more details:  [log in to unmask]

Manon Savard
Université du Québec à Rimouski

Le 06:33 2006-04-02, vous avez écrit:
> >Hi ,
>
>With regards to the earlist evidence of nut use, it really does depend on
>the part of the world that you are interested in.  The earlist eividence
>that I am aware of comes from the Levant region. At Gesher Benot Ya'aqov
>site in northern Israel (780,000bp),  pistachios, wild almonds, acorns and
>water chestnuts were found in the same archaeological layers as nut
>cracking tools.
>For more information read Goren-Inbar. N., Sharon. G., Melamed. Y. and
>Kislev. M. 2002 Nuts, nut cracking, and pitted stones at Gesher Benot
>Ya’aqov, Israel.  http://www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.032570499.
>
>In europe the dates are some what later and includes acorns, hazelnuts and
>pistachios from a site in Spain (11500 bp) and in northern Europe at 9110
>bp (hazelnuts) and 8320bp (acorns).  However, the eivdence of processing
>is often nmissing from these early sites in Europe.
>
>I hope this is useful.
>Penny Cunningham
>University of Exeter
>

>Dear all,
> >

> > I have had an enquiry from a non-list member, Thomas Hewitson, who is
>working on a programme about the use of nuts as food. As I 'm sure that many
> > of you out there know more about this than I do, I 'm appending his
>enquiry
> > below. Please include Thomas in your replies - but I'm sure the rest of
>us
> > would be interested too!
> >

> > Many thanks,
> >

> > Julie Bond
> >

> >   _____

Manon Savard
Professeure
Module de géographie
Université du Québec à Rimouski
300, allée des Ursulines
Rimouski (Québec)
G5L 3A1

Téléphone +1 (418) 723 1986 ou 1-800-511-3382, poste 1225
Fax: +1 (418) 724 1847