Sent: 11 December 2006 23:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cedrus traumatic resin canals

Some years ago I was given a wooden 'torch' from the Franz Josef shaft at the Hallstatt salt mine from the late Bronze/Early Iron Age.  Is there any way to know whether it was pine, or are you aware of other trees where the resin might be made use of this way?  Also is it reasonable to suppose that the same system was used in Europe at this time ?

I was most interested to hear of this process as I had thought that the porous wood was probably soaked in some flammable solution.  It seems possible that resin contained in the pores of the wood would provide a flame for a longer period.

Beatrice Hopkinson