FAIRCLOUGH, Graham wrote:

> Dear All or Any
>
> I would not claim to know all of what lies behind Cornelius's
> comments, but the 'right' to read meaning into something (especially
> in the form of words, tricky things that they are) passes almost
> immediately away from the creator to the consumer, and one thing that
> I take out of C's second point is a thought about 'our'  response to
> change and to future archaeologies (the creation and passing on of the
> legibility of a future past). Is it possible to remove something from
> a site's 'narrative', official or not, once it has been put there (eg
> by recording)?  Physical material survival is not the same as survival
> within a narrative (ask any religion, especially at this time of
> year). How do you preserve ephemerality?

Ive been thinking quite a bit about ephemerality recently, especially
along the lines of the marx/engels/berman quote "all that is solid melts
into air" - Having done a study of our local out of town shopping centre
for the first CHAT Ive been following its quite rapid evolution, as many
of the features I talked about have already been destroyed. The point
being that many modern structures, even quite substantial ones, dont
seem to last very long. I suspect that such places as Trostre park dont
have much of a narrative per see because no one takes them seriously as
places in the first place. Unlike town centres which do get invested
with a depth of cultural pattina, shopping centres are more or less
non-places to begin with and no one cares what happens to them

p g-b