For heaven's sake don't "Make publications mandatory for Registrars to progress through the training program" as this will surely only lead to "the usual scrappy retrospective audit with no cycle”!  If I were you I'd go for your last two options: the last thing we want to do is to force everyone to do a little bit of research. But I agree with your very last point about "leaving the onus on registrars/close supervision/experienced help etc".

AF

Chris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Hi all

I am an Emergency Medicine SpR at a university hospital. In my region there is very little research activity. None of the regional consultants has a strong research portfolio.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get research going locally? Here are a few options that have been suggested:

Divide the regional SpR cohort into small groups (say 4 SpRs per group), each group taking on a single research project

Forge links with academic units at the university so that projects can be supervised by researchers with experience

Become involved with research carried out by other more academic hospital departments

Personally I feel that placing the onus for research on Registrars will lead to non-sustainable poor quality projects. Without close supervision and experienced help we will never produce more than

Regards

Chris Kirke

Checked by AVG Free Edition.