-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of John
Briggs
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Liturgy questions

One of my interests is the liturgy in Britain during the middle ages.  What
works should I be consulting to learn more?  Which ones are essential?  Do
bear in mind that I don't really have access to a decent library, and while
I haven't actually taken a Vow of Poverty, I sometimes feel that others have
done so on my behalf...

I would like to know more about the different Uses.  I feel that I can bluff
my way through the Sarum Missal, but I am woefully ignorant of the Sarum
Breviary.  Presumably Procter and Wordsworth's edition is essential, or is
there anything else?

For comparing the different Uses, a friend mentioned William Maskell's "The
Ancient Liturgy of the Church of England..."  How essential is that, as I
can't find it mentioned in bibliographies that I have consulted?  How about
his "Monumenta Ritualia Ecclesiae Anglicanae"?

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]