From: Jonathan Parr [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 21 October 2005 11:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PPS23 and Residential Developments

But surely the only way to make ourselves heard is to shout form the
rooftops!

I do think we undervalue our opnions and power (we do after all drive Part
IIA and try our damndest to improve quality of work in our areas), and maybe
we should all (that is all 400+ of us!) should bulk email ODPM with our
concerns, our issues and what we think needs doing.

Now im not saying its possible, but one email sent by someone from the list
and supported by every CLO in the UK should at least make them sit up and
pay attention.  The Planning Inspector is up to them to sort out!!!

Look, I know I live in a hypothetical dream world sometimes; as Steve says
the Standing Conference is very busily and successfully lobbying on our
behalf; but maybe its time we added our voice as a majority to this lobbying
and began to make people listen to us as we all have the same concerns!!!

We all know that stopping kids shooting up with smack and supporting single
parent families (all worthy causes I may add) take precedence with every LA
in the country; and apart from some of the more proactive Council's out
there (usually those in large conurbations) land contamination isn't seen as
important.  What we need to do as a body politic is begin to make everyone
aware of how important this issue is and even more, how important getting it
assessed correctly is!  Would you want your health checked by a fully
qualified doctor or by some bloke who is a mate of a mate?! (unless of
course he is a fully qualified Doctor!!!)  Whilst SILC status aims to
achieve this, and is excellent and I hope to one day achieve it for myself;
it doesn't do anything to stop the awful work we see being handed in by the
smaller Consultancies and the lack of knowledge and appreciation of the
issues by, probably, the majority of Developers.  One example I have is of a
Consultant assuring his Client PAH's were not an issue as they were only
phytotoxins!  Quite apart from the fact anything can be toxic to humans (too
much H20, air, pie's!) this Consultant was quite serious in what he said; I
mean come on!!!

And another issue I have come across is Developers handing in preliminary SI
work and a GQRA using Dutch/USEPA as screening levels to fulfil a planning
condition on a contaminated site that needs a DQRA!  Now I dont want to tar
all small consultancies and developers with the same brush as there are some
excellent ones out there who are striving to improve, but we al know it goes
on and it needs to be stopped!

At the core of the work we do; first and foremost is Public Protection, and
that is how we should approach the job.  If a developer doesn't like the
approach and decides to do a development somewhere else where the Planning
Policy isn't so rigidly stuck too, then the only person who gains is the
developer with his profit margins; certainly not the people who live in the
development that blows up!!!  To me what this calls for is a countrywide
adoption of a policy that all us CLO's can put to DC and say this is how it
is/should/will be done across the UK; if not the liability lies with you!
And I know I bang on about liability but I have worked in LA's for too long
and seen too much to not have learnt that one of the most important things
is covering my own back!!!

Anyway; at the end of the day I am up for the challenge; is anyone else?!

Rant over lol!!!!